Monday, May 16, 2011

interesting nyt on educ

Hmm....intensive fast-tracking to kindergarten? Sounds more like robot-fabricating cult land!

Different strokes for different folks--but I firmly disapprove of this for obvious reasons and I slowly shake my head in dismay for the children whose parents subject them to it.

This is not to say that I think it's necessarily harmful, I don't mean to be dramatic. I am just rolling my eyes at the coolest new trend in unorthodox education. Let's be honest--most everyone is all about enrichment, and creativity in this institution is important, but sometimes I just don't get it. Any slightly intelligent person knows that small children learn incredible amounts in just playing with blocks on the kitchen floor.

If there is one thing I do approve of it's the reading list, but what parent doesn't read Goodnight, Moon or the like with their children at that age? Especially that parent who is paying 200+ a month in Brooklyn, NY, for example, for drilling sessions for their three year olds?

No comments:

Post a Comment