Friday, May 20, 2011

15-M

I am trying to get excited about the big things going on in my current city...

And by current city, I mean my 'hood. The day and night protests that started six days ago in Sol, the center of Madrid, are no less than ten minutes walking distance from my front door... They say they want a revolution....


If you know me well, you know I am not into politics. I used to think it was a sign of immaturity but I think it's now safe to say that some things just aren't meant to be. Forget goverment teachers' fruitless attempts to inspire me, or my sister's lousy lectures that always ended in frustration...I don't have faith: politics and I will just never understand one another.


But even though I have come upon this conclusion (that I am a slightly cynical young adult in this sense), my apathy currently converts itself inwardly to confusion and, outwardly, to embarrassment. Why don't I care?



I suppose it has less to do with my political apathy, and more with my foreign status. In a country that is not my own, I find it incredibly difficult to relate to my Spanish peers, unemployed or not. I understand that the system is shit, the politicians don't actually stand for the people...but here's the cynic in me, saying "Come on, what's new?" This isn't just a problem in Spain: I don't know if I believe that there are alternatives to the corrupt capitalism that we ourselves have created. And then I can't help but wonder why this is all going down just days before the elections? Pardon me if I am mistaken, but it seems a little late to provoke real change.


This is sort of painful for two reasons. In the first place, I have lived here nearly two years, Madrid is home, and I want to feel solidarity with its citizens. Then I think about some of these peers that I speak of, some that are particularly close to me.... and their enthusiasm has not inspired any such feelings in myself. In fact, it has had the contrary effect: I have felt irritated, jealous and bitter. Irritated because I'm tired of hearing about it, even my American friends are on the bandwagon. Jealous because I want to be riled up too, damnit. And bitter because I just can't seem to get there...

And of course to continue with the slightly psychotic behavior, I have to be stubborn. I have refused to go see Sol all week.


But curiosity generally gets the best of me, so I roamed over there last night and then again this afternoon. How could I not, when it is just down the street? My skepticism should at least be grounded in something..


So I stumbled around the masses, snapped some photos of the endless eye-candy, and ate an ice cream while pondering the "writing on the wall"... still, no spark.


But, little by little, I have tried to at least understand, and in doing this, I believe I can support the cause. What I have gathered is that this is no everyday protest... this thing is a total grassroots movement, and the anger-fueled youth behind it, also known as the Democracia Real Ya, have done an impressive job in executing it. Each day it has gained more and more momentum. What they have mounted in Sol is like a small, autonomous city. Run by the people, for the people, and they are not going anywhere. So here's the truth: I suppose this is exciting, and something is perhaps changing.


The only problem is this: tomorrow is judgement day. Will all efforts be futile?!

P.S. Find more info, but mainly better pictures, here

2 comments: