Thursday, April 7, 2011

poop-scooping

Teaching english can be a real bore at times. I can describe it perfectly in a spanish phrase that I am working on incorporating into my spoken slang dictionary.. "que lata!" Literally "what a can!" Commonly known as "what a bore!" or, in modern american renee english, "how lame!"

So yea. Teaching english...que lata. But this happens to everyone...every once in a while one feels discouraged or disenchanted by their contribution to this world, and it is only necessary to remember what they (mothers) say, something along the lines of.. "it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you do it well." It even counts if what you do is professional poop-scooping..

Teaching english is sort of like poop-scooping. The parallels are present in many different forms and on many different levels, but since most of us aren't english teachers here, let's just take it down to its basic core: bad english is like small poop-droppings everywhere. there are many dogs, and they are all out on their walk, their special walk, and they are leaving droppings everywhere. your job is to pick them up and dispose of them. you will perform such tasks, you will correct and sometimes humiliate. then, if you are a really good english teacher/poop-scooper, you will replace the poo with a daisy or something of equally charming aesthetics.

This past week I took on another five hours of private classes [poop-scooping] in a desperate pre bail-out system to avoid a mid-summer financial crisis. As summer work options seem to dwindle in possibilities (okay fine, I haven't been so proactive), I also grow more and more worried about fulfilling my summer plans to "live the life". I want to take living the life to a whole new level, and I think this goal is quite attainable. I believe, if I can achieve three months of 20% work and 80% vacation I will be 90% there. Ya know?

Personal sacrifices are generally of worthy cause, and for this reason I am going to tackle poop-scooping like I never have before. I will give up my sacred Friday afternoons so as to master the skill, and I will feel fulfilled by the sheer excellence of my hard work! The poop droppings will slowly dwindle in numbers...it will be fun and it will fund the most kick-ass summer since the last summer, cause let's be real, they're all always so kick-ass. And hail to positive attitudes, they shall prevail yet again!

P.S. For the record: I still can remain in bed until 1 p.m. on Fridays if fancied.

No comments:

Post a Comment