Friday, April 29, 2011

tangerine friday

I have found the perfect spot for today. This is why I love cities. If you just put in the time, there is a perfect spot for every day, thus making every day, a perfect day.

It doesn't really matter that I am wearing my ancient New Balances (lesbian, or just a woman in comfortable shoes?)... I wore them because I thought it was going to pour rain this afternoon and if any shoes of mine are going to be destroyed by God's wrath then it should probably be these. Tennis shoes are my arch-nemesis.

The rain hasn't come, I look terrible for no reason, but who really cares? Sure, I love looking nice even if it's just to have a date with myself. I like to match my environment. White on Sundays, sundresses at summer picnics, a clean oxford on a solo coffee date. As Kaitlyn once said, even matching eyeshadow with the color of one's underwear is satisfying on some Freudian level.

I dressed in rags today to match the terrible weather that was going to join us this afternoon, but while on the way home from class, meandering through Lavapies in search of poppy seeds, I have just found a lovely cafe. I haven't even had lunch yet but I just couldn't resist the place, its enormous doors opening completely to reveal a facade practically on the street. I am in two places at once! Inside and outside!

I almost passed it up. I can't believe I almost passed it up. I really wanted to get home and change my shoes. Come on, it's the little things. The lack of equilibrium between the charming cafe and my pitiful appearance might normally have given me anxiety, but not today. It's Friday, the sun is still putting up a valiant effort against the clouds, and Madrid looks and feels like tangerine.


No comments:

Post a Comment