Monday, November 2, 2009

halloween redux

After Saturday night--only thought it necessary to finish off the holiday right.

I went to a party in Chueca--the gay district of Madrid--at an international apartment belonging to American, French, Brazilian, and Spanish inhabitants. Despite the fact that over half the guests were not-so-friendly French girls, it was still a good time. I enjoyed scoping out the costume scene. Across the international board, all the girls got the memo to wear as few clothes as possible--mostly clad in bunny, cat, or evil seductress get ups. The striking difference, however, was in choice of costumes. It seems as though the Spaniards are the only ones who celebrate Halloween in its true form--that is, in honoring death and its morbid friends. Since when did Halloween become an excuse to dress up as whatever the hell you want in America? This is OUR holiday! We should do it right! However, I have to admit that the host did make a fabulous Lady GaGa, and when I saw that guy ¨on a boat¨ in his flippy floppys and all, I nearly peed in my pants. I guess you can´t help pop culture invading every corner of our existence.

Anyway, I have decided that Halloween is in fact one of the best holidays, after celebrating it in Madrid. Especially in the gay district. The streets were packed with absurdly frightening yet flamboyant witches, jokers, exorcist girls, and demons, and people were going absolutely nuts. It was quite a scene, and I only wish I had photos to document. Guess I´ll just have to stay for next year´s celebration :)

No comments:

Post a Comment