Saturday, October 31, 2009

happy halloween!

Forget the fact that halloween is an American holiday...happy halloween, Spain!

Truly, there is enough enthusiasm here for our spooky tradition that even the most homesick of all american puppies would be at ease. Not to say that I am homesick. Since I passed the acceptable age for trick or treating, I haven´t cared much for Halloween anyway.

But--as one of the three American assistants in my school, of course I had to feign serious interest, as being an American on Halloween is nearly the equivalent to being Jesus Christ on Christmas day. We began planning over 3 weeks ago for our school party, but despite the fact that we began so early, yesterday nonetheless arrived in total chaos. We had decided to act out the story ¨There was an old woman who swallowed a spider¨, but instead the old woman would be a witch. Not very creative, I know, but the story uses simple vocabularly and tons of repitition. I, dressed as a dead bride (thank you, Pilar), was to narrarate, while Hallie and Alana (the other assistants) played the witch and carried the animals to the witch´s belly. What nobody told me, however, was that this ¨play¨ was to last 30 minutes. So when the first round finished after a mere 5, we were at a loss as to what to do after the one game we had planned finished in 5 minutes as well (a swine flu-friendly version of bobbing for apples).

Here is a piece of advice for anyone who is ever caught in a similar situation, that is, with 50 pairs of young spanish eyes staring at you and waiting for entertainment: chant. I have found in my experience that there is nothing that excites and pleases a group of children in this country more than chanting. I have theorized that this pleasure comes from Spain´s unfaltering appreciation of soccer--a sport that requires serious chanting. So we began: Trick or treat! Trick or treat! I want something good to eat! ..and you know how the rest goes. The room immediately broke out into holy mess of children chanting together, and the chanting didn´t stop. Boys began to form chains, arms around each others shoulders, while the girls jumped and squealed in an attempt to not be trampled. In America, someone may have called the police. In Spain, everyone rejoiced. They were having a ball.

Needless to say, the next round of students heard a much different version of the old witch story, complete with improvised conversation amongst myself, the witch, and all the animals she swallowed. We couldn´t deal with such pandemonium 6 times throughout the day.

Tonight, for the real Halloween, I will go into the city for a party at a friend´s apartment. She is American, but her roommates are from all over Europe. We shall see if the enthusiasm persists..

No comments:

Post a Comment