Saturday, October 24, 2009

the end of vacation

Today marks one month that I have been in Spain (...something I failed to mention in my first post--I have moved to Spain for those who are unaware), and also the end of my vacation...from technology.

After a month with out a cell phone, I finally broke down and got one. I have to admit, life with out a cell phone was quite a hassle at times. One day I tried to meet a friend in the city to have coffee, but there was some confusion about the meeting place. I won´t go into detail about the search, but needless to say I had coffee alone. Until now, I have done almost all communicating via email, which is a huge pain in my ass considering I do not have a computer, and the computer I use (Pilar´s) dates back to the 90s. I´m sitting at it right now, and as I type, it purrs and groans, sending soft signals to let me know that while it is still in working order, it could shut down at any time.

Anyhow, while I enjoyed my vacation, I suppose the end came in good time. My contract is with Moviestar, a company I remember from my days in Buenos Aires. I feel SO fortunate to have family here, my uncle allowing me to get a cell phone under his independent work contract. Most foreigners are not able to get a contract (for various reasons--time issues, residency issues, etc) and thus are forced to pay as they go, which costs on average (from what I have heard from friends) nearly 100 Euros a month. Yikes! My contact is costing 12 Euros a month for free usage Monday through Friday, 8 am to 8 pm. Beyond these hours, it will cost 18 cents a minute/message. Not bad.

So thank you Uncle Marcelo, for hooking me up with the goods. And thank YOU! cousin Isabela, for also hooking me up with the goods! Isabela was probably more excited for my new cell phone than I was, it´s arrival being the only thing that could get her out of bed at noon today (oh, teenagers). She immediately stored my number in her phone, and began sending me all the reggaton a girl could need. Now I can finally fit in with the young people (young people as in high schoolers) who like to park themselves on benches around town and listen to their cell phones as if they were boom boxes. If I ever get a camera, I will try my best to sneak a picture or video of this phenomenon, because its HILARIOUS. For now, I will just have to use words to describe it. Imagine..two teens, beyond uncomfortable in their own skin, sitting in silence while Don Omar raps from the tiny speaker of the hot pink cell phone sitting on the arm rest. In accordance with the super cool atmosphere they have set up, they must also be sure to act super cool--aka NO speaking, no smiling. This cell phone party is serious business. Sometimes, I walk into the kitchen and find Isabela doing this very thing, alone. When I find myself in this situation, I think, ¨when in Rome..¨, and we sit together in silence whilst the cell phone takes the stage.

My cell phone number is 649835096. Please call me, if you feel like it. It´s free for me, but will probably cost you a pretty penny.

1 comment: