Sunday, November 22, 2009

....

Last night I saw my most favorite Andrew Bird in concert. I will start from the beginning.

One night I was talking on the phone with my pal Marc, and he had a calendar of all the upcoming live music in Madrid--huge, because I have been so out of it in terms of this wonderful source of entertainment. So I had him read off some of the names..and ever so casually, he said "Not sure if you know this one..the 21st of November..Andrew Bird?" That´s when Marc went deaf.

What are the odds?!?! My most favorite Andrew Bird, in Madrid?!?! God loves me. He really, really loves me.

So, I had been anxiously awaiting last night´s arrival for two weeks. I met up with Marc for a few beers with our favorite Euro couple, Lorenzo (Italian) and Gloria (Spanish). I am not sure what it is I love so much about Lorenzo and Gloria--but in due time I suppose I will find out. After that we headed to Marc´s cousin´s to say hello, as he lives near the concert venue. He is a butcher slash artist slash computer chess addict, a bit intimidating at first, but a really cool guy in the end. Maybe too cool..Marc and I were enjoying his company so that we lost track of time, and thus were late to the concert. That´s okay though. Not many people know who Andrew Bird is here, so we ended up finding an awesome spot on the balcony where I was put into a trance for the next two hours.

Yes! He played for two hours! And I have to say, it was a much more magical experience than the previous times I have seen him, which have always been at outdoor music festivals. It was much more intimate, a one man show. He would begin by picking a simple ear pleasing lick on the violin, and then loop it just to begin another to layer onto the first. When the show was supposedly over, he of course came back out, this time with Jessica Hoop (who opened) and they did a few Bob Dylan covers together, such as "Oh, Sister". Good god. It was amazing. I finally was able to understand a one Kaitlyn Greer and her obsession with a one Jack White. I think I am in love with Andrew Bird.

And that´s when I decided, just as the show was ending, that I had to see him again, because true love has no limits. I had read that he was also playing in Barcelona... the wheels started turning, and by the time we were outside the venue after the show, all I could say to Marc was "I´m sorry, I have to go home. I can´t spend money tonight, and I need to plan."

But dreams this spontaneous rarely ever come true. First of all, the show in Barcelona is on Tuesday, and Tuesday is a no-go because I have an important meeting for my residency early Wednesday morning. So it would have to be Monday night in Valencia. I would need to drive, because any other form of transportation would require missing two days of school, and I can really only live with lying to my school for one. So, I would need to rent a car, and I would need to drive home promptly after the show Monday night to make it to school in time. Which means I would need a friend, because I am not about to drive 5 hours alone in the middle of the night (mom--don´t worry...I may not be that responsible, but I am surely smarter than that!). I swear I have friends, but none that are obsessed enough with Andrew Bird to screw Monday´s duties and Tuesday night´s sleep to go see him with me.

So I´m not going :( But that´s okay, the way I look at it, it wasn´t meant to be. I´ll survive, I suppose.

1 comment: