Saturday, January 21, 2012

harpo



This is Harpo, our new foster dog.

How do I begin?

I pretty much always want to be with puppies. We can start there. I'm not sure if it's because I grew up with all sorts of pets at home, or if perhaps it's the maternal instinct on which I blame so many things, but I crave animal interaction. Particularly with puppies.

So a few months ago it occurred to me that I should volunteer in an animal shelter here in Madrid, since adopting something soft and cuddly (other than a hamster) was not going to be an option. I went through the necessary steps to get involved, and soon realized that, without a car, it would be an incredible hassle getting to and from these shelters, which are all on the far outskirts of the city.

But in the process of investigation, I did find out about a foster care program-- an exciting yet horrifying prospect. I had a foster care experience once (nearly 10 years back, Memphis TN) and it was not a good one, but that's a whole different story...

After some months of mulling over it, I realized that I was totally ready to take on the responsibility of a pet, especially since foster care is basically pets-for-dummies (and poor people). The organization takes care of all costs, medical care, etc etc. We are just responsible for the best part of it all: TLC.

Central Spain is known for having the biggest population of abandoned Greyhounds in Europe. They are bred, used for hunting, and then left out to die (if they are not killed directly by their owners..) after they reach a certain size/age. It's incredible, because they are such good, beautiful dogs... but I guess it just goes along with all the other atrocities of the world, and I am left speechless for an explanation.

So Harpo isn't a puppy, they wouldn't give me a puppy damnit, but that's fine: I'm nearly just as satisfied. We've only been with him a few days but I have pretty much experienced every emotion of the pet-owner spectrum in this time...panic, pleasure, joy, panic, joy, anger, disgust, joy, joy, joy.

I could tell some really funny stories about all that has happened since Harpo moved in, but this isn't Marley and Me (yet)...I think I'll save that for another post.


No comments:

Post a Comment