Monday, August 30, 2010

tarifa

Welcome to Tarifa...the world capital of kite and wind surf.

Apparently it's not such an uncommon thing...to practice one of these aqua-sports. But I personally have never seen either, and was thus tremendously moved by the sight of it upon arriving to the beaches of Tarifa. I also had never seen Africa...which feels so close, you could almost reach out and touch it...


What was so impressive to me was the number of people practicing kite and wind surf in the same respectively tiny area. Just watching the enormous kites flow freely amongst each other made my stomach rise with butterflies and my heart beat rapidly. It reminded me of the hidden milongas of Buenos Aires--the dance halls where people gather to tango. I remember the floor was always packed with at least 40 couples ever-so-gracefully performing the seductive steps of the Argentine dance. I could never understand how they didn't even so much as brush lightly against each other's shoulders, much less bump into one another, or even worse, step on the toes of their neighbors.


The kite's and their respective owners were similar, only that if the kites intertwined, someone could die. Supposedly the force of the kite is so strong that it's strings can slice through the neck of an unlucky daredevil. When I submerged myself in the icy waters (the ocean is cold there), I was filled with anxiety just looking up at the kites on the other side of the yellow plastic balls that separated swimmers from surfers...I had to crane my neck 180 degrees to the sky to watch the massive kites that floated on the edge of the border.

It'd sure be nice to try kitesurfing because it looks incredibly fun (you can jump and soar!!!), but there is no way I have the strength. The kite is attached to your body with a heavy life jacket of sorts that is strapped only around the torso, and then you must hold on and guide using a typical triangle handlebar. My weak-ass arms would surely be ripped off by the force. Anyway, cheers to those who do practice the sport...I have sincere respect for you.

And thanks to my great tour guides, Luis and Raquel :)

No comments:

Post a Comment