Tuesday, August 31, 2010

the damn wind

I would like to formally apologize for the post published last week, in which I attempted to inform you all of the winds of Cadiz. I believe I offered a bit of false information. I'm still unclear as to how to correct it though…


As it turns out, I am constantly hearing contradictory things about this crap wind…For example, during a winery tour yesterday, I was informed that the frequently blowing levante causes the level of humidity to lower, doing blah blah blah to the wine barreled in front of a river not half a kilometer from the ocean.


Then today I woke up at 4 am because the wind was going NUTS. Something like a tropical storm was coming, and we were all gonna die. I was more or less pretty distraught, not only because I woke up due to the kitchen door slamming (never pleasant) but also because I had to shut all the windows to keep other doors from slamming, and then shut the patio doors too, and all in all I felt very claustrophobic.


Around 9 am I mustered up the courage to check out the situation from the balcony. There were few people out, and they looked OK, except for bad, windblown hair. What was weird is that it was really cool....eerily cool. I called Luis and he told me it's a strong levante combined with northern wind. That's why it's cool. Still don't get it.


At 11, I couldn't take sitting in the apartment anymore, so I ventured out on bike. I was particularly curious as to what the ocean was doing so I headed straight there, only to be whipped right back home by piercing sheets of sand. It totally sucked.


I still don't understand the wind...but I have come to agree with the people here...levante is horrible. Perhaps it's wind in general... I don't like unpredictability, and that's exactly what it is: unpredictable. My favorite weather conditions, if you can call them that, are the sunrise and the sunset, because they are so nice and PREDICTABLE.

No comments:

Post a Comment