Sunday, February 13, 2011

P.S.

Laundry in Spain sucks. I would shame Señora Almendros with the fatal that is my laundry-doing. Maybe even Pilar might slightly drop her jaw if she saw, for example, my mishap foldings.. wrinkly shirts that are scarcely worn for this very reason... many garments inside out. By many I mean most. Oh well, it is what it is. I know even when I am a real adult, that is, when I start ironing things, I'll still never iron the underwear.

And this brings me back to a funny memory from last spring. It was the Saturday of Carnaval and Veronica and I went to Getafe to eat and then "maquillar" Isabela and Alex for the parties. She had forgotten a lot of material or something so we decided to run back to Parla to get it after lunch. Alex and Isabela were all jazzed up for the fiestas and we thought, Why not bring them over for the quick errand? They had never seen our apartment or met the cats, which was really the most exciting aspect of all.

The place was a pretty big dump in all spaces: sink full of dirty dishes, coffee table littered with wrappers or crumbs or half-full glasses of water, beds unmade and things, in general, thrown around. We weren't expecting company, and the kids were surprised...they only really know real organization and tidiness.

More than anything I remember Isabela's face...her enormous dark eyes wide in shock. I remember the biggest confusion of all was when I led her in to my room to show her the stellar job I did painting it purple. She took one look at my wardrobe that was a spilling disaster of clothes, an abandoned tornado scene, and was puzzled in amazement. How could I live like this? Haha, she is one NEAT girl. Which is funny, and so typical. We are all our mother's daughters, I suppose.

But forget the mess, February may have been a tough month for Curro and his hormonal antics. Isabela and Alex were probably most taken aback by that damn cat stink. Of course, we were used to it and really didn't notice a thing. But for them? I think those kids might have been thoroughly convinced in those 10 minutes that they do NOT want a cat. You're welcome, Aunt and Uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment