Monday, August 22, 2011

wwoof


I don't really know how to approach this so let's just cut to the chase: I spent all last week working on a farm in the French alps.

It's kind of a long story how I got myself into this, but if it is something that interests you, check out wwoof.org, wwoof standing for Worldwide Opportunities on Organic Farms. It's more or less an organization that links farms with volunteers who have the desire to learn and experience all the workings of organic farming.

I decided to do this because it seemed like a cool alternative vacation plan, plus one on the seriously economic side (in exchange for your work, you stay and eat for free). I'd never worked on a farm, but the idea of digging my hands in to the earth was appealing. I chose France because it's close and also I thought I'd put my summer course to good use. Tucked away in the mountains, I believe that La Ferme Agri-Nature in Marcellaz was just what I needed...


The house at sunset (I suppose this explains the bizarre lighting..?), from the back.

The house was up on a hill, and to get to the massive garden (this is just one side of it) was about a five minute walk down.

This was probably the most taxing of all...making, as Guy the other wwoofer put it, a "house for the beans". Although it may look simple, do not be deceived. It took us two full days of work and I won't even go into detail about how tedious it was. It did feel good, though, to see the progress, and once we were done we spent a good three hours weeding all around it. The result: a lovely sight.

The neighbors. Apparently that red van hasn't moved in over ten years.


Le petit marché...I did quite a bit of maintenance here, as it was open 24/7 and right on the main road connecting Marcellaz with the other surrounding towns. Weighing, pricing, etc etc.

I worked from 9-12 and then again from 2-4...leaving plenty of time for bicycle exploration.

These funny little houses were everywhere...apparently people used to store their most prized possessions in tiny sheds nearby, in case the house burnt down or something equally disastrous happened.

Collecting apples was fun and also terrifying. After carefully placing them in the canvas bag on my shoulder, I had to climb down the questionably-stable 10 foot ladder and put them in this basket, elevated so that the grazing sheep wouldn't get to them (they came over the minute they saw us put up the ladder).

As one might imagine, there were a lot of cats. What's a cozy farm kitchen without a curious little kitten?

On my last day of work I collected strawberries and then we made a strawberry pie. This is Miki, head of the house, I wouldn't mind if he were my grandpa.


Finally, before my evening flight back to Madrid, I visited the lovely lakeside city of Annecy. A long bike ride all along the east side of the lake...breathtaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment