Tuesday, January 18, 2011

welcome to mr. g's room!



Oh man. I haven't thought of this fantastic man in ages. My opinion might not be valid; in fact, it definitely isn't, but I would go ahead and classify him as one of the most memorable and quotable characters that came out of television in 2008.

This semester we are getting a theatre club going at my school and our first meeting is on Thursday...wish me luck in my search for this clip with Spanish subtitles for our brief intro with, "What is drama?"

But I guess the real question is: would 11 and 12 year old Spanish kids find this funny?

I am pretty excited about this venture, because I have to admit that my "job" at school is just too easy. I don't do that much sometimes, because in the end I am not the one fully responsible for the 25 little devils. And I can't believe I complain about this!

But that's not the point. Really, it's that I should be more proactive myself in fulfilling my duties. Part of the title is "cultural ambassador", a sort of silly little thing that hangs on the end and serves as serious fluff (the full title is "English Language Assistant and Cultural Ambassador"). The school I work in (along with its whole mini-culture that is incredibly thriving with life) is different in so many ways than the school I went to as a child.

And just for the record, and I don't think I hold it with magnified glory, anyone who went to a one Franklin Elementary school would agree that it was kick-ass.

But forget the personal aspects... the great teachers, the awesome parties, the incredible library... I'm thinking of American schools, in general, versus Spanish schools likewise.

One thing American elementary schools seem to love but Spanish equivalents don't pay much attention to are these very clubs. I remember so many from when I was a kid, particularly the Spelling Bee club, probably because it was before school at some absurdly early hour like 7:30 a.m.

Anyway, I have a few speculations as to why clubs aren't such a trend here, for the most part all coming back to the same conclusion, which is that Spain is just so quirkily old fashioned sometimes.

Perhaps it's the schedule that cuts the day into two large chunks, not leaving much time for such capriciousness. Or maybe it's the tradition...nobody is in school after 5 p.m. beyond the lone janitor (I've unintentionally tested this out a few times, once believing myself locked in for a short while). In addition, the schools are completely gated off, requiring a "buzz" to get in. The school is just not a hangout spot.

But during one of those two hours we waste between morning and afternoon classes? Not all kids go home for lunch, so things can certainly get done. Along with the Halloween parties and such, a cool club is in order for BPG.

No comments:

Post a Comment