Monday, February 8, 2010

palindromes and anagrams

Today the Julio Cortazar book was due at the library.

The first few days I had it in my hands, I attempted to read several of the stories, but I kept finding myself very frustrated trying to comprehend what was going on without a professor guiding me. I think Cortazar is a little (to say the least) beyond my reading level. This sort of depressed me, because I want to read it so badly and it´s just not very enjoyable. Furthermore, it reminded me of the fact that I am not in college anymore (why, God, why?).

But today I had to return it, so I dug it up from under my bed (where I had put it to avoid thinking about the two painful truths mentioned above). Perhaps it was the rainy, cozy afternoon that inspired me to hole up in the library and give it another shot before handing it in. So I chose the first story, "Lejana: Diario de Alina Reyes", to read again.

And perhaps it was the rainy, cozy afternoon, an afternoon spent holed up in the library, that allowed things to go more swimmingly for Cortazar and I.

"Lejana" was a really awesome read the second time around, spoken from the diary of a one Alina Reyes, who sets off on a confusing (yes, still confusing--especially because this girl is crazy) journey of multiple identities upon making an anagram of her name:

"Alina Reyes es la reina y... Tan hermosa, este, porque abre un camino, porque no concluye. Porque la reina y..."
(in English...Alina Reyes is the queen and... So beautiful, this one, because it opens a path, because it doesn´t conclude. Because the queen and...)

Other Spanish anagrams and palindromes, created by the one and the only, Alina Reyes, la reina y...

Salvidor Dali, Avida Dollars
Salta lenin, el atlas
Amigo, no gima
Atale demoniaco Cain, o me delata
Anas uso tu auto, Susana

No comments:

Post a Comment